CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

12.22.2009

Early Learning Center

Ryan and I have discussed a number of times that we are very pro-music lessons for Jude. We really hope to get him into lessons early on. Ryan is all about starting Jude on the drums. I personally would like something more classical like the piano (or keyboard for us po' folk), violin, etc. Either way, the decision will ultimately come down to Jude and what he eventually seems to show interest in (if anything). We're not going to force him to do the lessons if he doesn't like them and we're not going to force an instrument on him either.

Well, the other day I began doing a little research to see where you can get lessons for someone young. I didn't know exactly at what age is appropriate, only that earlier was better. Well, I came across a web page for the University of Delaware's Early Childhood Learning Center and it was exactly what I was looking for.

They offer formal lessons for children starting around early school age, it was later than I had expected, but sounds reasonable to me. But for children from birth-3 years old, they offered a series of music classes that mother and child could take together.

Here is a link with more information: UD Learning Center

According to their web page, the next series of classes doesn't begin until February, but I'm anticipating enrolling Jude in the "Music for Babies" class. The lessons are $168 per child on Saturday mornings from 9:15-10:00am for 12 weeks. I personally think that's pretty reasonable.

I contacted the department and they told me that signing him up in January should be fine, but that the classes fill up, so earlier is better. In addition they I had asked them about formal lessons. They informed me that typically lessons are determined based on an individual child's level of interest and willingness to learn.

In general it's all very interesting.

1 comments:

Julie said...

very interesting! thanks for sharing..i may look into it more for a class for riley.