CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

1.06.2010

Laura's Wedding

When I was asked to photograph Laura's wedding, I quickly accepted. I pretty much thought it was the perfect opportunity to cross something off my 101 list and since part of me kinda hopes to be able to do something like this, I figured it was a nice way to see if I would be any good at it.

I didn't really think too much about it for quite some time. Then I got my new camera and I wasn't really thinking about the wedding as much as I was about learning different functions and stuff.

Then about a day or two before the wedding I started thinking about it and got a little nervous... I mean these were her WEDDING pictures. I didn't think she had quite the expectations I had... but still, this is the one thing you have left when it's all over. All the time, money, energy and thought put into your wedding and all you have left are the pictures.

Then not only was I concerned about the actual images not being good, but that some fluke technology mishap would occur and I'd lose all the images. I remember when I used to work at Genuardi's, some lady came in and as I do with all customers, I asked "Hi, How are you?" and she had some response about it being the worst day of her life or something... I didn't really press (how is one supposed to respond to that???) but she continued and said that she photographed a good friends wedding and there was a problem when she went to process the photos and she lost them all. HOW DO YOU TELL SOMEONE YOU LOST ALL OF THEIR WEDDING IMAGES???

But anyway.

The night before the wedding I got everything together. I took both of my Nikons, my old-school film camera and my collection of lenses. I don't really have a camera bag big enough for all that, so I put it in one of my large purse style bags and took it from there. I realized through the day though that I was sticking mostly with my new camera. It had the most versatile lens and was rigged up with my external flash.

Laura was having her hair done early that day, so I told her I'd meet her at the hotel early to get some pictures of her getting her hair done and that gave me the chance to take my time getting pictures of some her the "details"





I thought that I'd get to the hotel hang out a little and then head home. But either way, I came dressed for the wedding. I'm actually glad I got ready, because I never made it home that day.

Before I knew it, the girls were getting their dresses on, I was meeting the guys to get some pictures of the groom with his groomsmen and then rushing back upstairs to get some shots of Laura getting ready.



This was taken when I still had a little light to work with in the lobby... not too bad. Perhaps the worst part is that the elevator shafts are exposed...


Then of course we were getting the notice that it was time for them to head to the lobby for the ceremony. The bridesmaids all went downstairs first and then, once the groom was in the chapel room, Laura was allowed to go down.


The BM's and mothers

not exactly the best light, but it had potential.

The night of the rehearsal my mom pointed out the glass elevator and said she thought it'd be perfect for some photos... I agreed.

I found the ceremony to be both easy and difficult to photograph. On one hand, it was great, because everyone stood in roughly the same spot allowing me to get a lot of shots at different angles, etc. But then at what point are you just annoying moving around while people are trying to focus...

Then of course, you can't just stop them mid-ceremony to repeat something - you take it as it's happening. Period.

For example... if you miss the first kiss, the exchanging of rings, the grooms look as the bride is walking down the aisle... etc. There's no getting those moments back.

I love this picture of them going in for the kiss.
When looking at other photogrpaher's work, I always like those natural moments... I tried to capture some... this one wasn't one of my favorite, but there were some during the 'special dances' that I really liked.
Another challenge was the space. The room was nice, but you're stuck with trying to avoid Exit signs, doors, etc.


The new Mr. and Mrs.

I took advantage of the elevator again as they were heading to their room.


Cocktail hour was another challenge. I had to get all of the formal pictures done during this time, but also needed to capture a few moments from the cocktail hours. On top of this, the fountain Laura wanted her formal pictures in from of was in the lobby with the cocktail hour. So, we were losing the wedding party in the crowd. Every picture I had to run off and find everyone. Finally, another issue was the lighting. During the afternoon, the light in the lobby was perfect. The ceiling of the building is mostly glass, letting in a lot of natural light. In the evening, you don't have the natural light, so I was trying to use just my flash for the photos and so some were white washed, others were too dark... and then people were blinking... I just feel like I could have done much better with a better flash/lighting situation...

One of my favorite ones in front of the fountain... Phillip and his Army guys...


... here are a few from cocktail hour....
This is Ryan's "father of the year" pose.

Some of Phillip's friends... I liked this picture.

I have much better ones from the cocktail hour... but this is Ryan and Bryan with their "I can't believe we're wearing the same suit" look.

After cocktail was dinner. They did their introductions of the wedding party, did the first dance and then after dinner they did the father/daughter dances, etc.

My niece Olivia

First Dance... they were much more serious than Ryan and I.

Another one I really like...
The actual reception was great. People danced and just in general everyone seemed to have such a good time. I had asked Laura what type of pictures were really important to her and she said she really wanted one of her and our grandfather... I got a few of those. In addition she wanted pictures of people dancing: check. After I felt like I had covered everything and all of the special events were over and people were getting tipsy, I made the decision to put the camera away (after all, most people only get their photographer for a small portion of the wedding before they leave...). However, I kept pulling it out through the night to get shots of different moments.



Here's one picture in "natural"

Here's one in "more vivid" - this one def. has a sharper feel... IMO.
Bryan and Katy adopted Ryan for the part of the night since he didn't have me... and of course Jude had his share of mommom and poppop time...


The best man's speech was cute. Apparently Phillip did some interesting things with his Army friends.

I just love flower girls...

All in all it was a great time. I feel like I did a fairly good job - but of course I'm no professional.

I really feel like I need to work on flash photography and how to get the best angle, etc. in such a dark setting. I've actually been doing some research to find ways to avoid pictures being too dark or too light. There are so many factors such as flash distance, angle, diffusing, aperture, shutter speed, etc. that according to everything I read it's all about practice, practice, practice.

Then of course there's post production. I don't have a photo processing system and so the raw images are what I have... unlike some more pricey companies, I don't have the benefit of photo shop to make my pictures better - but I'm fine with that.

3 comments:

Lorraine Renee' said...

Wow! I have to say you did a GREAT job!! I also was asked by my friend to do her wedding last summer. I was extremely intimidated.I only had a digital Kodak camera. But she insisted those were the type of pictures she wanted, very candid, and natural. So I did it. I was not happy at all with my work, but she seemed to like them. But anyway, your pictures look amazing! I think your well on your way!

If you don't mind me asking what kind of camera is it and how much was it. I need to invest in one.

Alicia Kennedy said...

Lorraine... I could go ON AND ON about cameras... so I'll try to keep it brief (as really I only 1/2 know what I'm talking about).

I started with a Nikon D40. All of the pictures I posted up until a couple of weeks ago were with the D40. It was/is a great camera for basically anyone trying to get into the world of the SLR. It's a Nikon and so any money you invest into lenses, and other external pieces should be able to transition to other camera bodies in the event that you ever up grade. It's also on the small side of SLR's so it's more managable than some to tote around. I personally loved mine and feel like I got a good go with it. Eventually though I started to outgrow it. I wanted to try more lenses and be able to play with more features. (the D40 about 3+ years ago was about $500 brand new - this was for the kit which included a lens)

The one I just bought was the Nikon D80. They just came out with a D90 (which pretty much the only difference is it takes video), so a lot of the D80's are more reasonably priced now. I got mine used for a little over $600. New, you're looking at $800+. For closer to $1000, you can usually find some awesome kits on e-bay with a bunch of lenses, travel cases, tripods, memory cards, etc. etc. etc.

The D80 is much 'beefier' and there's more you can do with it.

Personally if it's something you think you'll want to really get into, I'd skip the D40 and go right to something bigger. But if you just want a better camera for better quality pictures and think you'll only really use the auto functions - then the D40 is great.

Lorraine Renee' said...

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. I will look into it, and see if I can get a good deal on ebay!